This week’s news includes drones fighting fires and illegal dumping; new fines for drone usage; new patents by Amazon; and other recent developments in UAV regulations and usage around the globe.
- An sUAS operator is granted a nighttime UAS waiver for inspection and mapping. (The American Surveyor)
- UAV maker DJI proposes new max weight for lowest-risk category of drone. (International Mining)
- For the first time, New York City firefighters employ a drone to monitor a dangerous fire. (Bart Jansen, USA Today)
- North Carolina legislators introduce bill to make it illegal to fly a drone too near a prison. (AP)
- Community groups in Ireland will use drones to fight illegal dumping. (Ciarán D’Arcy, The Irish Times)